Home alone with me and my sick thoughts........

Monday, January 17, 2011

The Finger

It's a dreary, rainy cold day here in sunny Florida.  The Wife is at work, and I'm biding my time until I have to drive thru the drizzle to see the finger doctor, who will be removing the stitches from my injured finger.  Since you're coming in late on the story, here's a quick synopsis to catch you up…….

Yours truly, staring off into the great room while loading wet clothes into the dryer, takes left hand and slams dryer door shut, not really noticing that my RIGHT hand (my back is to the washer with the dryer to my right) is resting lower than it should be, that is, until the sudden pressure and pain at the end of my middle finger informs me otherwise.  Of course, the instinctive reaction to this is that I jerk my hand up and away from this sudden shock to my system and I tromp into the kitchen, cursing, yelling, and holding my hand, trying to get my eyes to look down and start figuring out just what the &%#@ just happened.  First thing I SEE of significance is that the finger is oozing blood like a stuck pig, so the medical professional in me takes over and I reach over to grab paper towels to wrap around the finger to try and apply what pressure I can to the wound, which isn't much.  Meanwhile the kids, who have been preparing that morning to return to Tampa, are asking me if I'm all right, which I'm still trying to decide for myself….

I finally peel back the paper towels just enough to see that no, this is not minor by any stretch, and admitted to perhaps being in need of a ride to the emergency room.  The Son-in-Law makes a quick glance around for any loose finger tips and we quickly pile into the car to get me to the hospital while I try not to pass out amongst the waves of pain.  Remember, folks, this has happened on the next to most sensitive area on a Man's body (you can guess what the first one might be), and even if I wanted to be all John Wayne about it, my finger was screaming OMG! I think I was pretty manly-man about it considering everything.  Perhaps the worst part was when the PA in the ER was sticking the needles into the side of my finger to numb it while I buried my head in The Wife's shoulder trying not to scream.  This is on top of being needle-phobic to begin with…….

Believe me, it felt a lot worse than it actually turned out.....


OK, so I survived her repair work, including the removal of about a third of my fingernail, which I think had absorbed the majority of the assault from the dryer door, saving the bone beneath from crush injury, later verified by  X-ray.  If this same degree of laceration had occurred on just about any other area of my body, say my arm or leg, it really would have been no big deal, and would not have slowed me down all that much save for some minor pain and discomfort.  But THIS injury occurred on the one spot on my body that I use everyday, and especially at work, handling patients and equipment (a good degree of strength and dexterity required), and on my dominant hand to boot!  So, this stupid misadventure actually put me on sick leave, which I have plenty of, so it isn't going to damage us financially to any great degree.  But there's a lot about being out of work that get's somewhat maddening after awhile.  I actually MISS my three twelve hour shifts working with my wonderful, talented, and beautiful nurses.  I really do need this finger to heal up and de-sensitize so I can get back to my normal routine, even if it does deliver other aches and pains, which I can live with.  This trying to keep myself occupied sucks.

I know, this wasn't really quick, but now you're caught up.  And now we'll get to see if this new plastic splint he'll give me will keep enough pressure off the tip of my finger that I can get Company Care to let me return to full duty.  I have my fingers (on my left hand) crossed!

4 comments:

Aquila ka Hecate said...

When I was 10, I slammed my thumb in the front door of a big, heavy Vauxhall motor car.
The pain, yes, was incredible. I didn't go to hospital - by gods, we were tough in those days!- and eventually the nail fell off and regrew . But to this day, the thumbnail on my right and is noticeably thinner than all my others.

Love,
Terri in Joburg

Paul said...

Michael, do you have feeling in the tip of your finger below the cut? I did something similar about 40 years ago and the tip of my finger was numb for years. But, better numb than painful.

Alex Pendragon said...

Yea, Terri, and you LIKED it! hehe

Paul, no, it was off to the side of the finger and the wound area is still a bit sensitive, so no, I don't think I've suffered any nerve damage.

jules said...

OUCH! Shivering at the sight of that over here.

Get better soon!

Loves ya~