Home alone with me and my sick thoughts........

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Cleared for Take-off!

So having the stitch removed from my finger was rather anti-climatic; I hardly felt it.  The tech gave me this really cool molded finger splint that is less cumbersome and allows me to use the hand without much discomfort while doing my job, which involves griping and grabbing and pulling a lot of weight around (the average American patient is getting much bigger,  my friends).  So I go back to Company Care and they put me through this "fitness test" to see if I can fulfill the physical requirements of my job, most of which really had nothing much to do with my finger, like lifting a fifty pound weight over my head.  The closest test they got involving my hand was a grip meter, and the physical therapist remarked that I had more grip using my four good fingers than most of the female PCT's did using all five.  Anyway.....I go back to work Thursday!!!!  Yippie!!!  I'm sorry, many of you might be shaking your head wondering why anybody would give up a leisurely vacation on sick leave to go back to work......well, sorry, but I can only take so much sitting around by myself with the four walls of this castle closing in on me, getting more and more out of shape as the long days go by.  Besides, I miss "my girls", those beautiful lifesavers who I personally think perform one of the most fulfilling occupations on this planet.  If you have the misfortune to come visit us here in the Critical Care Unit as a patient, you'll soon agree with me.


I want to think those few loyal fans who have welcomed me back to the blogging scene, and I want to assure those who might be alarmed by that same fact that I will not be endeavoring to point out to the masses just how much misery you cause the rest of us, either out of ignorance or intent.  I do not have a wide enough audience to cause you any grief anyway, so rest easy.  I consign you to the horrors of your own karma.


I have two books to recommend, by the way.  Ahh....you know....BOOKS?  Yea, those thick things with a gazillion pages all crammed with printed words, remember?  You can get some really good ones off the bargain tables at books-a-million for less than $8 if you look hard enough.  I know they are no where near as easy to use as a Kindle or iPod Touch, but there's something about holding these things in your hands and turning those pages ( I know, MANUAL LABOR....deal!) that makes the reading experience....I dunno....richer.   ANYWAY.......the first is a historical murder mystery set in twelfth century England, "The Mistress of the Art of Death" by Ariana Franklin.  Fascinating!  The second I'm also reading is "The Pagan Man", by Isaac Bonewits, one of our most interesting and celebrated Pagan Elders, who passed away last year of cancer.  Now, this second one, if you are a die-hard Christian or an Atheist, might not seem like your cup of tea, but it DOES give you an insight into the mindset of this polytheistic/nature-based lifestyle, and it would put to rest any misconceptions you might still have concerning us "un-godly" people.  Truth is, we have more "Gods"  than you do...na-na-na-na-naaaa-na!  hehe.  And we have a pretty damn good sense of humor.  You HAVE to if you're gonna be Pagan (free-thinker) and live in the bible-belt......


Oh, and Jules, I took your advice and capitalized "Witch".  But, she IS a Wiccan High Priestess, so what can I say?  And Hecate, aren't we all "married" in some sense to the land and all living things upon it?

2 comments:

jules said...

Much better!

I'm glad your finger is better and you can get back to the business of work. I understand having too much time on your hands.

Loves ya~

Alex Pendragon said...

Thanks, Jules! You're the best!